Starting 01.10.2020, the Territorial Administrative Unit of Giurgiu County, acting as a project promoter, will implement the project: Restoration, consolidation and endowment “Teohari Antonescu County Museum”. This project is financed with the support of EEA Grants 2014 – 2021 within the RO-CULTURE Programme.
The duration of the project implementation is up to 43 months.
- The project partners are: Amphitheater Foundation (Romania), Morten Bruun (Norway)
- Total project value: 11,855,745.05 lei (2,449,787.18 Eur)
- Grant value (85% EEA Grant and 15% national budget): 9,483,739.24 lei (1,959,652.69 Eur)
The general objective of the project aims at the economic and social development of Giurgiu County through cultural cooperation in the European Area and the improvement of the management of the cultural heritage owned by the County Museum “Teohari Antonescu”.
Specific objectives include:
• Cultural and economic capitalization of the local cultural heritage through the restoration, consolidation, endowment and promotion of the County Museum “Teohari Antonescu”, leading to an increase in the number of visitors by 35%.
• Revitalization of the local cultural heritage by implementing a capitalization plan and mentoring programs, leading to the creation of 10 jobs and 16 professionals with skills developed in the workplace.
• Development of cultural cooperation and bilateral relations between Giurgiu County and the European Area by creating a partnership in the cultural field with entities from the donor states (Norway).
“Teohari Antonescu” County Museum is a landmark of national history and the only historical museum in Giurgiu County. The museum building was built in 1870 and the last renovation of the museum took place in 1977. The restoration of the museum is a necessity for the local community and is an important objective of the project, but not the only one.
For the first time in its history, Giurgiu County Council will collaborate in the field of cultural management with a partner from Norway, Morten Bruun, and will benefit from the support and help of Norwegian professionals to capitalize and promote the cultural objective represented by the County Museum “Teohari Antonescu”.
Benefits for the community: Children, schoolchildren and young people, high school students and their families in Giurgiu, including the socially disadvantaged (Roma, low-income families, etc.) will benefit culturally and socially from a modern means of education, taste development for culture and socialization within the community, increasing the degree of information and culturalization, through visits to the museum, participation in cultural and artistic activities; Romanian and foreign tourists transiting the only bridge over the Danube between Giurgiu and Ruse will be able to practice cultural tourism; the entities that offer services related to tourism (hotels, restaurants, companies in the area) will benefit economically from the increase of service revenues and finally the local community will benefit from the economic and social development resulting from the capitalization of the museum’s cultural heritage. Cultural institutions in Giurgiu County (County Center for Preservation and Promotion of Traditional Culture, “Tudor Vianu” Theater, “IA Basarabescu” County Library), educational institutions and art schools in Giurgiu County, cultural NGOs and similar institutions in the area will benefit culturally and socially from a restored building, with modern facilities to carry out cultural and cultural-educational activities.